Career English Course at Indian Institute of Foreign Languages
ndian Institute of foreign languages is one of the few Institutes in Bangalore, which conducts courses in Career English (sometimes also referred to as Business English). Our branches are located in two prime locations: Marathahalli and Banashankari in Bengaluru. We evaluate the students taking this course before its commencement and depending on the requirements of anindividual; we customize the course and fix the duration of the course. Our trainers come from different backgrounds and have valuable knowledge about the various aspects of Career English.This article is going to give youa very good understanding about: “What Career English is?” And “How willyou be benefitted by taking this course at Indian Institute of Foreign Languages.”
How is “Career” different from a“Job”?
very day we hear the word “Career” from various sources like newspapers, TV, radio, from our family, neighbours, friends and most commonly in the social media like FB, Twitter etc., But what we don’t know is that, Career is an occupation that a person does during his entire life which begins with education and continues to skills, experiences and knowledge building. Career spans over many years or even decades and includes one or more than one job.
However, the job is any employment that an individual does, which is paid and could last from a few months to a few years. Always remember you can apply for a job, but not for a career.
The importance of using correctEnglish in building a strong Career:
recent study of the total number of English medium schools in India in the last 5 years has revealed that we have nearly 2.9 crores English medium schools. Most of us come from English medium schools, but the English that we learn at school is generally restricted to English grammar and its usage as well as comprehension reading and writing. This is what we call “General English”, where we only learn how to use English in everyday life. However,once formal education is completed, more than 70% of the students start looking out for employment either relevant or irrelevant to their field of study. More than 50% of these students do not succeed in the interview process. The main reason for this being usage of General English in a situation where they are supposed to use Career English. The remaining students, who may get selected, may never be able to obtain a promotion in their jobs. Such people move from one job to another and never actually get to build a lasting career. This illustration may give you a fair idea about the difference between General English and Career English.
Some facts about Career English:
- Used in all professional set-ups like offices, hospitals, banks, MNC’s etc., mainly for operating and improving businesess and also used for different types of customer/ client interactions.
- Study technique is mostly activity based like simulation, group discussions, presentations, business email – writing, business etiquettes etc., and the material used is relevant to the target group.
Who is the target audience for Career English course?
t Indian Institute of Foreign Languages, through Career English course we are focused on helping our students prepare and equip themselves with excellent English communication skills for the job market and for any professional environment. The target audience for this course could be anybody, it could a student who is pursuing his studies or is about to graduate or could be the working population who want to improve their English skills for better opportunities at the workplace or even house-wives or young moms who are eager to kick start their career or those who are returning to their second career after a short break.
Career English course content at Indian Institute of Foreign Languages:
- Business communication: Simulations and role play to prepare our students for different business and professional situations.Basics of communication and different means of communication currently being used in the professional job market.
- English grammar: A brief overview of English grammar and its usage, synonyms / antonyms, usage of homonyms / homophones, idioms / phrases and finally techniques to identify and rectify common errors in English grammar usage.
- Business writing skills: Rules for using punctuation in writing essays/ reports/ articles and business Emails. Help on spelling and other writing skills development.
- Presentation skills: Training in creating effective presentations for offices, seminars or colleges in a professional way. Guidance in identifying and reaching out to the right audience, tips on avoiding fear of public speaking, tips on assembling and sequencing the ideas for better delivery of the presentation.
- Public speaking skills: Developing confidence while speaking in front of a small or large crowd, techniques to retain the attention of the audience while speaking on special occasions, addressing challenges, informative and persuasive speaking. Tips on how to frame the proper introduction and conclusion.
- Interview skills: An introduction to various interviewing techniques used by Human Resource personnel. Conducting group discussions, mock interviews for telephone / f2f / behavioural rounds. Tips on how to confidently face the interview questions, participate in a discussion on common topics used in all interviews. Also interviewing skills training for managers.
- Accent neutralization: An overview on the types of accents in the English language that the student could encounter in the real world. Short training on accent reduction while speaking to International clients.
- Telephone etiquette: Formal and informal ways of making or receiving phone calls, proper greetings, general rules for telephone etiquette and cell phone etiquette.
Miscellaneous skills: Team building activities to understand and improve the importance of working as a team. Tips to manage time efficiently, multi-tasking techniques, increasing productivity, stress handling, planning for efficient systems and problem- solving skills.