The exam to test Japanese proficiency is called as “JLPT” i.e., Japanese Language Proficiency Test. There are 5 levels N5, N4, N3, N2 and N1. N5 level is the beginner level and N1 is mastery level. JLPT test certificates are valid for life, however some Universities and companies specify or set limit for its validity. The JLPT test has only two parts: Reading and Listening. The exam is held twice a year (July & December) in nearly 7-8 locations throughout India, including Bangalore.
||Language Proficiency expected per level
- Can read basic and understand phrases and sentences expressed in a combination of all three scripts of Japanese i.e., Hiragana, Katakana and nearly 100 Kanji’s.
- Able to listen and understand conversations based on everyday situations like at a school/classroom, at market, at shop etc., and is able to pick out important points of the short conversation if spoken clearly and slowly.
- Ability to read and comprehend longer phrases and short passages written using basic vocabulary and nearly 300 Kanji’s.
- Can listen and respond to polite questions, commands and requests. Is able to understand the intent and general meaning in an uncomplicated speech.
- Can read and write simple paragraphs, journals, letters and essays.
- Can listen and understand the intent and meaning of a carefully conveyed conversation.
- Can read simple articles, Japanese-Japanese dictionary, simple topics in Japanese Wikipedia, short poems and stories. Can understand nearly 700 Kanji.
- Ability to comprehend Japanese in a day to day scenario and in a variety of situations to some degree.
- Can read information on common topics in print media and understand the point of view of the author/writer/editor.
- Can listen and follow the essential points and ideas presented in a day to day conversation if spoken at natural speed, news reports etc.,
- Ability to read and comprehend in a logical manner the structures and contents of normal and some abstract texts on a variety of subjects from various editorials like magazines, newspapers.
- Ability to read writing materials with complex content on variety of subjects, including the narratives. Also in some textual context comprehend the intent and point of view of the writer or the author of the text.Ability to listen and understand comprehensively the idea and content of conversations, news reports and lectures that is spoken at a natural speed on a broad variety of settings.
- Ability to understand the details of a presented materials its logical structure and the essential points of the material.